May 22, 2009

Fabulous Friday Review: The Makeup Show NYC 2009 (Part I)

This past week, I traveled to New York City, to attend The Makeup Show, hosted by the Powder Group. This 2-day professional event featured over 60 Pro-Focused Brands and Businesses, had inspirational presenters, provided educational hands-on workshops, and created a community environment to network with peers. I attended the event with my friend, Lisa Jauregui, who is also a professional makeup artist. We arrived shortly after the doors opened at 9 am and begin touring the event. As I was walking, I immediately recognized Marlena, who is a You Tube star in the makeup world. She does amazing makeup tutorials and has a great website called www.makeupgeek.com . She was with her husband, who was there for the ride. It made me wonder if I could convince my husband to come with me on one of these trips. j/k!! IMG_6468

Me, Marlena, and Lisa

After meeting Marlena, I began shopping! My first and early purchase of the day was a black rolling makeup case.

IMG_6469

I have been needing a rolling case for years since my makeup collection has accumulated over the years and is too heavy to travel with on my shoulders!

Next to this booth, where I got the case, I saw the Crown Brushes display, which was beginning to get very busy. Their brushes are not exactly like MAC quality, but they are pretty decent for some of them and the price you can’t beat! The price range is from $2 to about $20 per brush depending on the style and quality. Their more expensive but higher quality brushes are the Italian Badger Series, and yet they are still under $20 a brush. One of the most interesting brushes I picked up was a mascara fan brush. MAC makes one as well so here is a pic of MAC’s brush since I can’t get a photo of the Crown version.

An original brush, but not all that useful! -  MAC Mascara Fan Brush Make Up

This type of brush is used as an alternative to applying mascara instead of with a mascara wand. It is supposed to give a very natural non-clumpy application of mascara coating to the lashes. It’s highly recommended now since everything is HD nowadays, which captures every little detail of the face. I should have bought several of these mascara fan brushes since they were only about $2/piece. Coincidentally, this brush was mentioned as a fav as well from celebrity artist, Jon Hennessey, who I took a hands on workshop from later that day. You can check out the entire brush collection at www.crownbrushes.com .

Later that day, I checked out the Makeup Forever booth. That booth was crazy packed! This was the 25th anniversary for the cosmetic line and I believe also the first time they have participated in the makeup show. They were offering a 40% discount to professionals in the industry hence the mayhem at their booth! I had been hearing rave reviews of their oil-free HD Primer so I finally got it. It felt very lightweight and almost silk like on the skin. Though they come in 6 correcting shades, I decided to get the transparent one since it would be the most versatile.

HD Microperfecting Primer

I also got some of the FACE Atelier glosses, which had some very natural but beautiful shades. One of the colors I got was called Cameo. One of the makeup artists I met on the floor mentioned that Kim Kardashian’s makeup artist uses that shade on Kim so I had to get it since Kim’s makeup always looks fabulous! The shades I bought were Arctic Gold, Peach, and Cameo. The colors were beautifully pigmented and not tacky at all.

There were many other amazing companies at the show, however, I would be here all day to write about them. However, there are many other pictures from the event that you can view on my Makeup by Adrienne Facebook page. Just go to the photo album titled “Makeup Show NYC 2009”. Also, stay tuned for next week as I will share part II of my experience at the Makeup Show. I will share tips and products suggestions that I learned from my hands-on workshop with celebrity artist, Jon Hennessey. Also, I know some of you have already expressed to me that you would like to see some looks/makeup tutorials of some my work so I will be working on that soon. My goal is to have a makeup look /tutorial to post on my blog next week! It may not be a video one, but it will still be fun and educational to see! Until then….have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

xoxo,

Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment